I haven’t done one of these in over a year? Where does the time go?
I’m getting ready for back-to-back-to-back road trips, synchronizing tunes to a portable music player. The original rules are here, if you want to play along. This particular list, however, plays by a slightly different set of rules. Every track in this list is from the Yahoo Music Unlimited subscription service. In exchange for a monthly fee, I get the right to listen to any tune in the collection on up to three PCs, download tracks to a portable player. Because all the tunes use the PlaysForSure DRM, they’ll play back over the network on Media Center as well. (Money-saving tip: Pay for a year in advance with a MasterCard and you get a second year for free, making the monthly price an unbeatable six bucks. I get nothing for the referral, by the way.)
I don’t buy music if it’s protected by DRM (which is why I don’t have an iPod or use iTunes). But I’m happy to “rent” music this way, especially at the price. It’s a great way to sample a disk before deciding whether to buy it, and indeed I’ve bought a half-dozen CDs or DRM-free album downloads after listening to them on the subscription service.
Anyway, here’s the list. If you want to add your own Random 10 or 20, read the rules and then post your list (or a link to the list on your own blog/website) in the comments.
- ’50s French Movie, Carrie Rodriquez, Seven Angels on a Bicycle
- Tired Eyes, Neil Young, Tonight’s the Night
- Come Running, Van Morrison, Moondance
- Sleepless Nights (Alternate Take), Gram Parsons, The Complete Reprise Sessions
- Midnight Train, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, After Awhile
- Joy Will Find a Way, Bruce Cockburn, Circles in the Stream (Live)
- Poison, Grayson Capps, Wail & Ride
- You Turn Me On I’m a Radio, Joni Mitchell, Hits
- Cottontail, Tim O’Brien, Hard Year Blues
- Pretty Polly (Alternate Take), The Byrds, Sweetheart of the Rodeo (Legacy Edition)
- I’m a Hero, Keb’ Mo’, Suitcase
- Palestine Texas, T-Bone Burnett, The True False Identity
- Little Wing, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Greatest Hits
- This Love Affair, Rufus Wainwright, Want Two
- Family, Dar Williams, Mortal City
- Ready to Run, Dixie Chicks, Fly
- ‘Till I Gain Control Again, Rodney Crowell, Rhino Hi-Fave
- The Mountain, Steve Earle, Live at Montreux
- Closer to Free, The Bodeans, Homebrewed Live from the Pabst
- Tennessee Road, Eliza Gilkyson, Your Town Tonight
4 thoughts on “The return of the random 20”
“It’s a great way to sample a disk before deciding whether to buy it, and indeed I’ve bought a half-dozen CDs or DRM-free album downloads after listening to them on the subscription service.”
If only the record companies had thought of a subscription service when Napster started growing in popularity, maybe they would be making much more money today. Instead they waste their money on silly lawsuits that do exactly nothing for the bottom line.
Great idea. I learned a lot about my own music!
Comments are closed.